Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I was going though my computer this morning searching for a funny story.  I usually will save them on my computer so I can read them at my leisure.  Instead of finding something funny I found a very short reflection that I wrote down almost two years ago, right after I was discharged from the hospital.  I had received over 200 cards and letters from people while I was sick in the hospital.  One of the cards was from a church member of my former parish.  She enclosed a little note about a women who was working in Lutheran Mission in Liberia in 1954.  She was 22 at the time and she became very ill—to the point of death.  At 22 she thought she was going to change the world (I know how she feels).  She shares two valuable pieces of information that I thought I share with you.  Be patient with the Lord and in the words of Saint Paul to the Corinthians, “His power is made perfect in weakness.”  


In a society that is constantly moving, patience is not something that is desired anymore.  Deadlines are set in stone and missing deadlines can cost us our jobs and future.  Our lives are controlled by deadlines and swaying from these deadlines is a death sentence.  We even set deadlines for God and if he does not respond to our prayers by such and such time, we assume he does not exist or does not care about us.  It does not matter how much we bitch and complain that God does not care about us because he did not act when first asked.  God is God and he works on his own schedule.  To tell you the truth, I think God hates working under pressure and our silly deadlines.  


God does not ask much out of us.  In the words of the Prophet Micah, God calls us to "do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God."  God will fill in the rest.  What God will give us may not always be roses but he is always with us. 

No comments:

 
Blogging LutheransPowered By Ringsurf